Housing Options for Students That Aren’t Dorms

 In Property Management

As the semester begins to wind down, many students will find themselves looking for a new living situation for the winter or spring term. If you’ve only ever lived in your college dorms, searching for a new place to live can be stressful.

Fortunately, there are a few housing options to consider when looking off-campus. We’ve broken it down for you below.


The most common off-campus living situation for students is an apartment that is still close to the university. Apartments are a good option for students living on their own for the first time because the proximity to other units is often considered somewhat safer than a house that is farther removed from its neighbors. Apartments are also usually fairly small, so students won’t have to spend as much on furnishings as they would for a house.

The end of the year also brings out students looking for someone to take over their current lease for the next semester. They may have study abroad or travel plans for the following terms, or they may have a December graduation. If the time period for taking over their lease works for you, this could be a worthwhile option as well.


The alternative to an apartment is a house, which is typically larger than an apartment and can better accommodate more tenants. Some students may prefer this, as it allows them to live with more of their friends and lower the cost of living by splitting it among more people. Houses often include yards, which may appeal to students with pets or who wish to entertain often, and may have more amenities like in-unit laundry facilities.

If a house is more your style, there are a few different options you’ll want to consider.


The easiest way to live in a house as a student is to find a home that is available to rent. Websites like Zillow, Rent.com, or Homes.com usually yield a few good finds, as do sites for local realtors and property management groups. Make sure the property will allow as many residents as you plan to house before signing.


Some students’ relatives may choose to purchase a home in the area to use as a rental. Often the student will live in the house for the school year, and once they graduate and leave, the relative will have a nice property to rent to future students. If you already have a family member who is a property investor, you may want to consider broaching the subject with them.

Related: 3 Tips for Investing in Student Housing

House Sitting

Students in study abroad or exchange programs may want to look into house sitting as a more temporary housing solution. House sitting allows more flexibility than an apartment or home, which often require tenants to sign a nine- or twelve-month lease and may not allow subletting to other tenants. Not only do you have a furnished place to live, but house sitters are sometimes paid a small sum as well in exchange of their services.

Related: What is a Professional House Sitter?

Other Concerns

As a student renter, you may need to have a parent or guardian so-sign your lease with you. Some landlords require this if a tenant is younger than 18 at the beginning of the lease or if their demonstrated income is insufficient to cover the rent and accompanying bills and fees. If your parent or guardian is unable or unwilling to do this, you may need to choose another rental home that is more lenient.

For more student housing tips or to schedule a consultation, give Real Property Management Evolve Tucson Tucson a call at 520-883-RENT.

Recent Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search

property management tucsonHouse for rent